Peter J. Mares, CPA, MBA
Performance Improvement, Operational Efficiency, Cost Reduction & Profit Improvement
Peter J. Mares, CPA, MBA has more than 30 years’ senior executive experience solving complex operational, financial, and organizational problems. He has served as both a “Big 4” KPMG CPA & consulting firm partner and with both Fortune 500 and mid-market companies in C-level positions that include Vice President Finance Global Operations, Chief Operating Officer, & Chief Financial officer. Peter’s blend of experience across industries has provided him the proven ability to work collaboratively with C-level management and boards to exceed expected results.
Peter’s expertise lies in identifying and implementing cost reduction & profit improvement initiatives totaling hundreds of millions of dollars. He is skilled on improving gross profit margins and EBITDA, while also helping create higher-performing departments and companies across such industries as:
- Business & professional services.
- Government & non-profit.
- Life Sciences.
- Information technology – services & software.
Selected accomplishments include:
- Implemented pricing strategies based on data analytics of a $60 million distributor that improved EBITDA over 300% and $2.4 million.
- Reorganized operations for a $3 billion publicly traded company to deliver $8 million in profit improvements.
- Improved a $175 million professional services firm’s net profit $7.5 million by reducing costs and increasing profitability by improving the firm’s leverage model.
- Designed a global shared service model for a Fortune 500 company that resulted in reduced costs $8 million and 25%, while achieving a 100%+ improvement in measured outcomes.
- Designed and implemented a consolidated operations model for a $2.5 billion publicly traded manufacturing company that reduced headcount and costs by 60%and 40%, respectively.
Peter is also an advisor with Executive Leaders for Advisory Boards, a group of select company founders, owners, and global executive leaders to help small, mid, and enterprise-level companies effectively build their advisory boards.
Peter is a Certified Public Accountant with a Master’s Degree in Business Administration from George Washington University and a bachelor’s degree in accounting from James Madison University. Peter also attended the General Management Program at The Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania.